FIFA closes team slots for World Cup 2022
Thể Thao 247 - FIFA announces its plan for World Cup held in Qatar will follow the initial plan with 32 countries.
Gianni Infantino, FIFA president, agrees and calls for the change in the number of countries joining World Cup 2022.
After the discussion, FIFA claimed to remain the same 32 slots for World Cup 2022.
FIFA said: The tournament will follow the old plan with 32 teams, no proposal will be sent in the next meeting on June 5”.
"FIFA and Qatar studied every possibility to increase the number of participants to 48 by adding co-hosts. However, after a consultation process, FIFA concluded that it could not be done in the current situation".
In addition, FIFA also said it has tried to lower some standards for Qatar but this Asian country hardly meets FIFA’s requests.
Also in the FIFA statement: "FIFA and Qatar also studied by lowering some of FIFA's requirements. However, after analysis, the preparation time will be greatly affected, thereby FIFA decided not to pursue this option anymore".
Thus, 2022 World Cup will have 32 teams. President Infantino only had a chance to convince FIFA at the final meeting on June 5.
Vietnamese-born Czech player might not come back for World Cup Qualifier
Coach Park Hang-seo has full support from VFF ahead of SEA Games and World Cup
World Cup 2022 Qualifiers: AFF Cup runner-up to play from the first round
Vietnam may have World Cup chance if the FIFA raises team slotsTin tài trợ
- Cong Phuong left out, Incheon still received a heavy defeat
- Chanathip, Quang Hai reached Top 6 Asia to play in Europe
- Thai expert: 'We have lagged behind Vietnam'
- AFC CUP 2019: Trouncing Ceres Negros, Ha Noi makes history
- 'Cong Phuong can’t play with his unstable tactics', Incheon coach Yoo Sang-cheul claimed
- Cong Phuong steps up to Clermont Foot?
- Cong Phuong first time speaks of the debut match in Sint-Truidense shirt